Monday, May 19, 2008

2 nights in a row

For 2 nights now I have woken up in a panic.

Dream number 1.

Last night I had a dream about the wedding - mostly the rush and anxiety of the morning to get ready and make it to the ceremony. I dreamt that we were rushing around picking up dresses, getting hair done, make-up - all the usual - then as I gathered my gown into my arms to step onto the carriage I had a horrifying realization....

Where was the photographer??

I felt ill as I realized that the photographer had been absent all morning. No one had captured any of the pre-wedding moments which usually comprise of 50% of the photos.

I call Ben and relay the situation. He begins to panic. "Didn't we call her to confirm the date?"

I feel ill again. I had forgotten to confirm the date.

The photographer must have disregarded the booking. I call her and she says she can come down immediately so I step onto the carriage and head to the ceremony crying that half the day has already been lost.

Dream number 2 occurred the night before.

It is the day before the wedding. My sister and I are doing all the last minute preparations but break off from the running around to have lunch with the family who are in town for the wedding.

We are chatting away, sitting in a nice sunny courtyard. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents are all present. Ben is off playing golf with his boys so its mostly my family...and then it hits me...I grab Louisa and yank her away from the crowd.

"Oh my god - I forgot to organize a hairdresser!! OH. My. God! What have I done!!!"

I start to panic and Louisa looks at me wide eyed.

"How did I forget that!! OMG - what am I going to do??"

Louisa whips out her blackberry phone and begins to call everyone she knows to see if someone is available. I walk off crying wondering how I could have possibly forgotten something so important.

~~~~~~

Yeah.

Dreams/nightmares about the things I will forget.

Scary really since in my dreams its ME forgetting to do something. Normally I don't forget but it has been worrying me that I must have not realized something yet (even though I still have 6 months to go!!)

I found a checklist on the web with all the things I should have done which I copied below (purely for my own reassurance, lol!). I am thankful to say not only do I have allot of things marked as "done" but I have stuff done that isn't normally dealt with till a month or 3 months out. Hopefully the nightmares will ease now...

Planning Your Wedding

To do as soon as you can
These are the things that either affect everything else (like the wedding date) or are of greater emotional importance (like maybe the ceremony venue).

Select a wedding date. Done!
Discuss budget and who pays for what. Done!
Set a limit to the size of the reception. Done!
Discuss the style of reception. Done!
Confirm date with officiant - Pay deposit. Done!
Book Ceremony location - Pay deposit. Done!
Book Reception location - Pay deposit. Done!
Book Caterers if required - Pay deposit Done!
Book Photographer - Pay deposit. Done!
Book Videographer - Pay deposit. Not required.
Book Hire Cars - Pay deposit. Done!
Wedding dresses- Pay deposit. Done!
Schedule wedding gown fitting - Done x 4 so far with 2 more fittings to go.
Select Bridesmaid Dresses - Pay deposit. Selected but not paid yet.
Schedule Bridesmaids fittings - Not done.
Start looking for Florist. Done!
Start looking for DJ. Done!
Start looking for MC. Done!


6 Months before your wedding day
At the six month mark you should have all your major services sorted and have a pretty good idea what you'd like for the rest.

Book Florist - Pay deposit. Not done - plan to do this in July however florist is chosen, just not paid.
Book DJ - Pay deposit. Done!
Book MC - Pay deposit. Done!
Sign contract/agreement with Reception Centre. Done!
Sign contract/agreement with Caterers. Done!
Sign contract/agreement with Photographer. Done!
Sign contract/agreement with Videographer. Not required.
Sign contract/agreement with Hire Car company. Done!
Sign contract/agreement with Florist. Not done.
Sign contract/agreement with DJ. Done!
Sign contract/agreement with MC. Done!
Get a rough guest list together. Done!

The rest below I am mostly "not done" as we are still 6 months away...but just added the list anyway :D

3 Months before your wedding day
Getting closer to the day, you should have a pretty good picture in your head if how the day will unfold and how it will look. Now is the time to finalise the style of your day.

Order Cake - Pay Deposit.
Choose Formal Wear for Groom and attendants. Done!
Book site hire equip (Marquee, dance floor, tables, chairs, crockery & cutlery) Done!
Book decorator - Pay deposit.
Book hairdresser - book trial style - Pay deposit.
Book make-up artist - pay deposit. Done!
Coordinate make-up trial and pre-wedding photo shoot (and hair style too if possible). Doing this week.
Organise Bridal Registry.
Finalise guest list.
Organise invitations/stationery - Design done but invites not yet made. Materials on order now.
Choose Honeymoon - pay deposit.


2 Months to go before the wedding
Not long now.

Send invitations.
Start getting weekly facials. (Hell yeah!!)
Book wedding night motel room - Pay deposit.
Start thinking about wedding vows.

1 Month to go
Basically you just need to confirm with everyone (that you've not been in regular contact with) that they all have the correct date, time and venues.

Confirm details with Ceremony Officiant
Confirm details with Ceremony Venue
Confirm details with Reception Venue
Confirm details with Caterers
Confirm details with Event Hire
Confirm details with Decorators
Confirm details with Photographer
Confirm details with Videographer
Confirm details with Car Hire
Confirm details with Formal Hire
Confirm details with Florist
Confirm details with Courtiere
Confirm Honeymoon suite details
Confirm Honeymoon details
Confirm details with DJ.
Confirm details with MC.
Buy the rings. Done!
Schedule wedding rehearsal Done!
Confirm all accessories for your look are ready (Tiara, Veil, Earrings, Necklace etc)
Buy gifts for Bridesmaids, Groomsmen, Ushers etc.
Finalise Vows


1 or 2 weeks left
Tidy up all those loose ends

Have make-up trial and photo shoot.
Have hair style trial - (with Veil).
Finalise reception guest numbers and inform caterers.
Finalise reception seating and inform venue.
Pack for honeymoon.
Final consultation with Officiant.
Final consultation with Videographer.
Final consultation with Photographer.
Wedding rehearsal.
Pack a small bag with: Bandaids, safety pins, tissues, lippy, needle & thread, hairspray, bobby pins, eye drops, analgesics & any other little emergency fixer.
Request tables for the presents, cake, wishing well, etc
Wear your wedding shoes around the house to wear them in (same with him if they're new)
Write down a schedule for your wedding day, make copies and distribute to bridal party and helpers.


The day before your wedding day
Relax and take it easy. Don't panic if some of your plans have fallen through. If you expect everything to be perfect you'll probably be disappointed, something always goes wrong. On the other hand, if you expect the day to be fantastic, it will seem perfect!

Organize outstanding payments for wedding services in to clearly marked envelopes and give them to the Best Man.
Be prepared for a good (low GI) breakfast for tomorrow - You'll need the energy.
Prepare healthy snacks for the day - bet you forgot about lunch in your schedule?
Touch base with everyone to ensure they're all prepared and organised.
Try to take it easy and get pampered - facial, manicure, etc
Have a herbal (sleepy) tea and get to bed early.
Sleep (if you can)


On your wedding day
Relax and smile and relax and smile.

Relax.
Eat that breakfast you organised yesterday.
Smile.
Relax.
Remember your emergency pack (Bandaids, lippy etc).
Relax.
Smile.
Relax.
Smile.
Enjoy the ride.

No comments: