Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dress fitting number 4...or 5...I've lost count.

Last Friday I had my 4th or 5th dress fitting complete with audience which consisted of my brother C.J., his girlfriend Whitney, and my sister (aka Maid of Honor), Louisa.

It was the first time we were to see some of the beading on the gown. And the first time the 3 witnesses were seeing the gown period. It was also when I had to take my shoes in to see if they matched correctly. I was, to be honest, a tad nervous about the shoes as they had very prominent silver stitching. This is all sounding very girly but Jo Jo tends to make me nervous. The gown is so WOW that I feel compelled to keep everything near it also equally amazing.

I had told the dress designer the gown needed to match to silver (as the bridesmaids have silver beads on their gowns) I wasn't sure if that part of the discussion was heard.

The dress was wheeled into the change room on a mannequin...and my heart soared. It looked..in a word...awesome!

I shuffled into the petticoat layer, then the gown, then slipped on the shoes (wondering how we will achieve all this on the big day) then walked out to show my siblings. My poor brother sat looking at me and slowly turning pale. Louisa and I had already had time to come to terms with how weird it is seeing a sibling in a wedding gown...but we forgot to warn CJ! I asked if it was okay and he just stared at it in amazement nodding vigorously. Cause I know my brother, it is a good sign :)

Whitney made many many comments about how beautiful the gown was. We pulled out the original sketch to show her how the skirt will end up looking. The store assistant commented that my gown was her current favorite design (although I'm sure she has many,) and Jo Jo (dress designer) totally loved my shoes. They matched perfectly!

Then the hard part came....Jo Jo asked me to walk around the store to see if I tripped on anything. Umm....

It is so so sooooooooooooo hard to walk in such a long dress. I have never done it before and instinctively kept wanting to lift the front of the gown or look down in which Jo Jo would yell "Don't look down! Don't touch the dress! Stop fiddling!" Geez!

I think I'll need some practice.

The ever attentive assistant then went to the sparkling display cupboard (where all the jewelry is kept) and began walking me through options for hair pieces, earrings, etc.

Originally I had decided on a feather fascinator instead of a veil (yep...ALL traditions are now out the window, lol) but then JoJo's assistant bought out this stunning variation and when I looked at Louisa and Whitney for approval they were nodding vigorously saying "that one! that one!"

I then called on the Maid of Honor to help select the jewelry. It all looked the same to me...Louisa was always the fashion-ista in the family so I am taking advantage of her natural good taste :) She didn't let me down either. It was beautiful :D Sisters Rock!

20mins later I was walking out with a quote and preparing a story for Ben on why we MUST have those pieces of jewelry.

Anyone who knows Ben knows it doesn't take much for me to win him over on most things...but if it is jewelry then I am yet to hear a no. This time was no different - probably more because I had that pathetic look of expectation plastered all over my face. All it took was to show him the prices...explain what they were and he said "Sure - when do you need to order them?" I love this man, lol!

So next fitting is in august which will be VERY exciting - its the very first time we see layers on the skirt...and more beading. It is slowly nearing the end :) By then the wedding will be just over 3 months away...and I will be almost done with a dress that has taken over a year to make!

Ben's latest theory is that the entire dress gets framed, ha, ha! We laughed that it would look like a 3D version of those old portrait paintings that are 10 feet high.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a side note....the lovely Aine (bridesmaid number 2) is now only 8 weeks away from being a mum! Her adorable partner Adrian, I think is the most excited I could ever imagine a man being. The bubby will be around the wedding so you will have a chance to hug and hold the first baby for the couple. Will keep you all posted :D

No comments: